Friday, January 25, 2013

Learning as I go...

This week I've learned that it takes a lot of "stick-to-it-ivness" to write. Many things have been tugging at my attention and calling me in different directions. I crave peace. I know that is my best atmosphere for successful creativity...and I've struggled with that this week. I need to clear my mind, refocus and zero in on my goals.

I've also realized some changes that I need to make in my writing and I'm in the process of shifting gears. One of the challenges of writing in the first person is the temptation to write too much internal dialogue. My characters have been doing too much thinking and analyzing...but not enough doing. I am now working to develop their character through their unique actions and reactions. I am trying to "show" their character instead of simply telling their character. I want the story to come to life in the imagination with vivid action-packed images and touch all the senses. Early this week I realized that the most interesting parts of the book so far are the more active parts and descriptive parts then I'd hit parts that started to bore me. I understood...if its boring to me, no one else is going to want to read it. So that is going to be the main focus this next week. Please continue to pray for me as I buckle down and make the changes I need to make and keep on working towards my goal of a finished, well-researched, self-edited manuscript by the end of June, 2013!

1 comment:

  1. best of luck to you with your fiction writing goals! i'll be praying that you succeed in that deadline. :) thanks for following on twitter.

    jeannie campbell, lmft
    the character therapist

    ReplyDelete